Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tree Hugger

You guys thought I was going to talk about Earth Day, didn't you? Nope. About two weeks ago (back when I had a job), during the middle of the day, while I was at the office, I got the following e-mail from Jon, with the subject line "Muffy's Adventure":

"About 1pm this afternoon, I went outside to get the mail. I hadn't seen Muffin in awhile and when I walked up the driveway, she didn't immediately come running. As I got by the mailbox, I started to hear her "worried/vomit" meow. I figured out that it was coming from the lot to our west (towards the cul de sac). I looked around for a bit and encountered this.... [You should click on the picture and look at the large version so you can see Muffy's expression!]


...Muffy stuck about 12 feet up in a tree. She was clinging to the trunk with her front paws, and had her butt resting on some small branches coming out of the trunk. I have no idea how long she'd been up there, other than that I'd let her outside about an hour before. At first, I thought that maybe she had chased something up, but when I got to the tree, I saw Oreo sitting at the bottom, so he may have chased her up there. Or, he might just have heard her meowing and come over to investigate. I had slippers on and there was no easy way to get up there, so I went back to the house to get shoes and our fold-out ladder (and the camera). The ladder was just tall enough to reach her without having to extend any of the legs. I pried her out fairly quickly, within 10 minutes of when I first saw her.

Once down, she followed me back towards the house and I've kept her inside since (she looked pretty interested in resting/napping when I got back). She's acted pretty normal since then and shows no signs of cuts, scrapes, or hurt limbs." (Oreo is the neighborhood bully cat, by the way.)

Muffin has since fully recovered from the incident. (Actually, she was fully recovered by the time I got home from work that day, except that when Jon and I walked over to the tree so he could show me where she was, Muffin followed us until the bushes and then stopped and meow'ed at us from a little ways away as if to say, "I'm not going back over there and you shouldn't either! It's dangerous!!") But because of this incident, Jon gave her the nickname "Tree Hugger" (and he also made this picture the background of our computer, so I see it and laugh all the time!) Heeeee.... Cats are hilarious (and so is Jon).

To prove to you that she is fine and you are free to laugh at her (or not judge me for laughing at her!), here is Her Cuteness today, surveying her Kingdom (yard):

and just being cute:


1 comment: